Sunday 23 December 2018

Ubuntu 18.04 on HP Pavilion dv7-1060ez

At the beginning of 2017 I installed my HP Pavilion dv7 with Ubuntu 16.04. One moth ago I realized that the processor is a 64-bit CPU and that for all these years it has never been used as such. HP originally supplied it to me with Windows Vista 32Bit, so I believed that the processor did not support a 64Bit operating system.



Reading the specifications of the processor (Intel Core Duo P8400) it was clear that the hardware can support a 64Bit operating system. So I reinstalled the Pavilion with Ubuntu 18.04 64Bit desktop. The first big outcome is that everything works smoothly without having to make corrections or reconfigurations.

After two weeks of use I can also say that it works well and that it is stable. The negative point is that the Laptop is not able to resume from the sleep phase.I read of problems with Ubuntu 18.04 and several Laptops, in my case, the desktop reappears briefly to, then, be replaced by a black screen on which scrolls an endless list of error messages. It looks like the system can't reattach the hard drive. Since I use the Pavilion connected to the power line, it is not a major problem.

But there is also a positive aspect: the Pavilion does not overheat as before and is no longer so noisy. The performance is generally better and I think the Pavilion has never worked so well.

Compared to the previous version (See Ubuntu 16.04 on HP Pavilion dv7) this version has better integration with Google Sync (Drive) and allows me to use newer software packages. It remains an old laptop with some limitations but still perfect for office and development.







No comments:

Post a Comment